Recyling & Re-using old bicycle parts.

Doy las bienvenidas a todos miembros!

Tampoco hace falter ser ciclista para participar, pero la mayoría de temas son de bicis...

Moderadores: Synchronicity, TinS84, BikerXC

Recyling & Re-using old bicycle parts.

Notapor Synchronicity » Sab Abr 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Today, I've just finished speaking with a local here in Tenerife about an idea for recycling tyres I saw on the website: www.velo-re.com

At Velo-Re, among other things, they use old bicycle tyres (clinchers) and turn them into fashionable belts.

Since we now go through a fair few tyres every year, I thought it was a good idea to re-use these for something else. I just handed over 6 or 7 used tyres & I'll let you know how this goes when they have made some prototypes. :-)
Última edición por Synchronicity el Vie Abr 25, 2008 8:43 pm, editado 1 vez en total
www.Tenerife-Training.net | Pro Road and MTB Hire in Tenerife
www.vertebr.ae | Advanced alumina ceramic gear lines
Synchronicity
Doc Brown - Site Admin
Doc Brown - Site Admin

Notapor Synchronicity » Vie Abr 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I've just been reading some info about recycling old bike parts over at www.ibike.org

Aluminum parts: Rims, especially have been given second lives as furniture (see Resource Revival and Bike Furniture Design). Even if you don't have the hankering to be a craftsperson, or get the materials to someone who is, there is still enough value in aluminum that it is often cost effective to separate it out and sell it as scrap to a metal recycler.

Inner tubes: Inner tubes have a lot of secondary uses before they need to be discarded. Generally they are great for "tie-downs". Inner tubes can be used for tying loads to racks, or trailers or hanging things from the ceiling. They have also been woven and used as webbing for chairs and to weave purses and bags.

Tires: A stack of mountain bike tires turned inside out and supported with rod or canes stuck into the ground, make very good composters. Some tires are better for this than others.

Chains, chain rings, etc.: Local artists may be interested -- ask around. They find uses for things. Also, there are instructions floating around the Internet on how to make crafts like belts and wallets from busted tubes and picture frames from chains. If you have exhausted your local options you can check with Resource Revival and Bike Furniture Design).

I'm definitely not the world's most creative guy, but I recently had a great idea for an aluminium road handlebar which the stem has squashed in the middle. It definitely isn't safe to use anymore, so I'm actually going to re-use this as a wall-hook for storing other bicycles. Ingenious, or what?!
Synchronicity
Doc Brown - Site Admin
Doc Brown - Site Admin

Recycle used steel bicycle chains by making door-mats

Notapor Synchronicity » Mié May 07, 2008 5:02 pm

:idea: The light bulb has gone off in the old nogin' again. I plan to recycle used steel bicycle chains by making door mats out of them. Actually, the first prototype will be used as a "heavy duty workshop floor mat". To my suprise, I couldn't find anyone else doing this on the web.

How can I create a steel chain mat out of an old bike chain?

I'll first try to use thin spokes (hopefully thinner than the rivets in the chain) and thread them together forming a 2D mat. If that doesn't work, I can always buy a few metres of cheap steel wire and thread them onto that instead. But it'd be nicer to manufacture this from 100% re-used materials.

There's two or three ways to do this. I could simply line the sections of chain up so that they are parallel & string them altogether. Or I could offset them by half the chain pitch, making a slightly nicer design. The tedious thing to do would be to create a meshed, open chainmail structure similar to a woven crochet weave. That obviously involves a lot more work but might prove to be worth the effort... leaving alternate gaps (for example one 5cm gap for every 5cm length of chain).

I just have to wait about 6 months until I can accumulate enough chains to complete a decent-sized floor mat. I already have 3 well-worn chains in storage.

A full length chain is usually about 1.5 metres long. Each chain is ~7mm thick, so assuming that I want to make a mat that is 75cm wide, one chain will add 15mm of width to the mat. I estimate that I'll need about 30 chains, giving a mat with a final dimensions of 75 x 45cm. If I use the open pattern shape, I'll only need half the number of bike chains to complete this project.
Synchronicity
Doc Brown - Site Admin
Doc Brown - Site Admin

Notapor Synchronicity » Vie Sep 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Saw this today:

Imagen
Synchronicity
Doc Brown - Site Admin