With the petrol prices rising, the energy crisis looming, and the state of the environment deteriorating, I thought it was time to compile a list of zero emission vehicles (ZEVs). First I’d like to say that I’m pretty pissed of that the internal combustion engine is still with us today. I remember when the Australian government told us about 15 years ago that they’d be “phasing petrol cars out”. Phasing them out my arse…!! Anyway, it is my hope that one day, the combustion engine will become just as unpopular as analogue electronic equipment now has, and that zero emmissions vehicles will be treated like the new wave of “digital” equipment. I hope that people will laugh at things like exhaust pipes in future. Fuck hybrid vehicles altogether I say… they’re like dual VCR/DVD drives.
Note that I haven’t included hybrids or alternative fuels in this list, as all of them still emit greenhouse gases. I also haven’t included any prototypes, impractical or uneconomical cars. The majority of these production cars you can buy TODAY, the remaining few that aren’t are slated for production within about a year, so you can at least reserve with a deposit. I encourage you to leave a comment if I’ve ommitted any ZEVs from the list:
1) The first time you drive the Tesla Roadster, prepare to be surprised. You’re at freeway speed in seconds without even thinking about it (0 to 100 km/hr in under 4 seconds). There is no clutch pedal to contend with and no race-car driving techniques to perform. Just the touch of your foot and you’re off, without any of the sluggishness of an automatic.
When you build a car that’s electric, you start with one built-in advantage: Electric cars just don’t have to be as complex mechanically as the car you’re probably driving now. Sophisticated electronics and software take the place of the pounds and pounds of machinery required to introduce a spark and ignite the fuel that powers an internal combustion engine.
For example, the typical four-cylinder engine of a conventional car comprises over a hundred moving parts. By comparison, the motor of the Tesla Roadster has just one: the rotor. So there’s less weight to drive around and fewer parts that could break or wear down over time.
But the comparison doesn’t end with the counting of moving parts. The engine and transmission of a conventional car also need lubricating oils, filters, coolant, clutches, spark plugs and wires, a PCV valve, oxygen sensors, a timing belt, a fan belt, a water pump and hoses, a catalytic converter, and a muffler €” all items requiring service, and all items that aren’t needed in an electric car.
Electric cars equal freedom. Not simply from oil reliance, but from dependence on any specific power source. Electric power can be generated from natural gas, coal, solar, wind, hydro, and nuclear sources €” or a combination of all of them €” without changing the design of the car. No matter how or when the world changes, the car adapts, making it immune from obsolescence.
Before now, electric vehicles typically capped off around 60 miles per charge, relegating them to the status of commuter cars. The Tesla Roadster changes all that. Plug it in at night when you pull into the garage and you can drive about 220 miles on that charge the next day.
Just like the fuel gauge in your existing car, the instruments inside the Tesla Roadster indicate how many more miles can be driven before you need to think about recharging. So unlike the old days of electric vehicles, now you can “drive electric” without the anxiety you’ll run out of charge and be left stranded.
Plug your Tesla Roadster into its at-home charging unit, and you’ll be fully charged in about 3.5 hours. But we consider this a “worst case” for someone starting with a completely dead battery. Even after a 100-mile trip, you can be completely charged in less than two hours.* And should you need to charge on the road, packed away in the trunk is an optional mobile-charging kit that lets you charge from most standard electrical outlets while away from home.
Regenerative braking €” which recovers and stores the energy usually lost when you slow down €” extends your charge even further, delivering higher miles-per-charge on in-town driving. Think of it like engine braking with a bonus. Whenever you slow down, you send a charge back into the battery. It’s a much-needed silver lining to red lights, traffic jams, and other slowdowns.
Unlike the lead-acid or nickel metal hydride batteries in most electric cars €” which are heavy and difficult to dispose of €” we use a proprietary Lithium ion battery pack. Nickel cadmium batteries were notorious for memory problems, and nickel metal hydride batteries reduced this problem. The lithium ion batteries we use in the Tesla Roadster eliminate the problem. So there is no need to worry about waiting until the battery pack is fully discharged before recharging it: feel free to charge your car whenever you have access to power.
Even with the demands of charging and discharging the battery pack on a daily basis, the batteries in the Tesla Roadster will give you more than 100,000 miles of peak performance driving. After that point, the battery will see only gradual drops in performance over time.
2) Oxygen specializes in the development, manufacturing, sales and distribution of environmentally friendly, technologically advanced pure electric and hybrid-electric powered lightweight (LEV) vehicles. Oxygen€™s products are an appropriate solution for both cost-conscious and environment-conscious fleet operators and commuters. Our products are fun to ride and easy to operate, have virtually zero operating and maintenance expenses, are quiet and promote a clean environment. To date, 4,000 motor scooters and 12,000 electric bicycles have been sold to selected markets, primarily in Europe.Oxygen is completely devoted to the production of electric-powered e-Mobility Personal Transporters. Our flagship product is the all-electric Cargoscooter, designed specifically for the delivery market and the first of its kind intended primarily for inner-city delivery use.The Oxygen Cargoscooter is made to carry loads and features a low center of gravity, making it more stable and maneuverable than any two-wheeled vehicle in the market today. Our patented Saphion® Phosphate Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery technology combined with our lightweight and functional design will effortlessly reduce energy costs, slash maintenance expenses, increase efficiency and driver€™s safety, eliminate air and noise pollution, and improve your corporate image through corporate social responsibility. The Oxygen Cargoscooter offers superior range, speed and of course, cargo capacity. In addition, it is less costly to operate and maintain than equivalent gas powered vehicles.
The Oxygen Cargoscooter€™s superior design and technology features can be adapted to fulfill the needs of various delivery-focused industries through personal customization. This begins with the selection of a desired range of travel per charge based on the individual needs of your fleet. You can further personalize by choosing various cargo options including front and/or rear cargo load, front load height and type of cargo box; acceleration speed; seat height; stiffness of rear shock absorber (4 levels); and branding options such as logo, colors and rider gear.
3) The earth-friendly future is here with ZENN, the Zero Emission, No Noise fully-featured electric vehicle. In addition to requiring no gasoline, the ZENN distinguishes itself with a comfort, convenience and utility no other Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) can match. And with its affordability and economical operation, it offers remarkable value.The ZENN can be recharged anywhere by simply plugging into a standard electrical outlet and can be ready to go in as little as 4 hours. At only pennies per mile to operate and with minimal maintenance requirements, the ZENN is the ideal choice for consumers and businesses alike. Proven design, extraordinary comfort and worry-free operation.The ZENN’s aluminum-alloy chassis has been widely tested under a variety of real-world settings and meets or exceeds FMVSS500 standards. Its quality, durability and customer satisfaction are fully established. The lightweight exterior ABS panels are rustproof and dent resistant for long-term durability.
4) The Obvio’s Monocoque chassis is bonded together with the body shell high-protection structure in a special process of reinforced composites in RTM Light €“ Resin Transfer Molding. The internal and external panels are in special high-tech Bio-Plastic from GE Plastics and delivers an €œA€ class finishing. The body shell and integrated chassis form a high strength monocoque structure, providing full passenger protection in rollovers, front, rear, and side impacts. Single piece, bonded construction yields high torsion and flexional stiffness, providing a solid body with superior handling. The €œNiess Elliptical Survival Rings€ allow the Monocoque chassis to function as a passenger safety cell, designed to distribute any impact throughout the vehicle€™s structure. These elliptical survival rings are based on technology developed and patented by the Aeronautical Engineer Mr. Marc William Niess, who was acquired by Obvio. Obvio’s vehicles will meet or exceed all USA D.O.T safety standards, all European Community Standards, and all Japan and China safety standards.
Monocoque integrated aluminum chassis design includes composites passengers safety cell utilizing €œNiess Elliptical Survival Rings€. High performance, microsport car with seating for three, side-by-side. All laminated safety glass tinted windows, front and side impact airbags. No more parallel parking, fits lengthwise into the width of most parking spots! 828 is capable of a top speed of 100 mph. There will also be a left-hand drive version available (steering wheel on the right side). Power steering? Not necessary on a vehicle this light.
5) The ZX40 from Miles Electric Vehicles is powered by four advanced sealed, absorbed glass mat (AGM), valve regulated, 150 Ah lead-acid batteries, coupled with a 48V, 4 kW (9 kW peak) DC series wound motor. Maximum torque is 49 lb-ft (66 Nm).
The ZX40 has a 40- to 50-mile driving range and is 10 times less expensive to operate than a gasoline-powered vehicle, according to the company. The ZX40 is classified as a Low-Speed Vehicle (LSV), meaning that its street legal up to 25 mph, fast enough for a range of routine District fleet tasks, including maintenance, security, and transportation for engineers and water analysts.
Unlike open chassis, €œgolf cart-like€ electric vehicles, the Miles ZX40 (a four-door, four-seat hatchback model) is built on an all-steel car chassis and offers features like AM/FM sound systems, power mirrors, and available air conditioning. One of Miles Electric Vehicles most anticipated products is the MILES XS500, a full electric highway speed sedan with a projected price of approximately $30,000.
6) The Dynasty Sedan is a four-seat, four door multi-purpose vehicle. Performing duties on campus, around the job site or just around town. Standard with hatchback, halogen headlamps, self cancelling turn signals, three point anchored seatbelts, automotive safety windshield, dual zone automotive brakes, side and rear view mirrors, windshield wiper with two speeds and heater/de-mister system.
The stylish yet functional Utility model features a deep “pick-up” style bed with convenient third door access to the cargo area. With a top speed of 25 mph (40 km/h), the IT is legal on roads posted at 35 mph or (60 km/h) or less. IT has a range of 30 miles (50 km) and is equipped with a standard DC drive system, or 40 miles (70 km) with the optional AC drive system.
7) REVA is a battery electric vehicle designed for low speed, congested, urban conditions and is classified as a quadricycle (category L7e) under UK and European law. REVA is designed to be unique and stands out on the road as a genuine city car with a mature expression. The advanced technologies used, make it highly differentiated and superior to other makes. It has all the inherent benefits of an Electric Car and is indeed a revelation in city mobility.
Easy to charge: It runs on batteries and as compared to other Electric Vehicles has an onboard charger to facilitate easy charging which can be carried out by plugging into any 15 Amp socket at home or work. As simple as charging a mobile phone! The onboard charger ensures the safety of the car in case of any voltage fluctuation or any electric spikes. The auto cut off mechanism ensures that the customer does not have to worry about overcharging or any other issues related to charging. A full battery charge takes less than seven hours and gives a range of * 80km . In quick-charge mode (two-and-a-half hours) 80% charge is attained, good enough for 65km. A full charge consumes just about 9 units of electricity.
8) The Aptera was designed from the ground up as an electric vehicle, and later as an extended range electric vehicle. After building the proof-of-concept Mk-0, we hired the automotive design firm, ‘eleven’, to help us further develop the concept vehicle. The ‘eleven’ team, led by Jason Hill and Nathan Armstrong, made great strides in the development of the Aptera’s body styling, interior design, and structural engineering. Meanwhile, we refined the Aptera’s shape to maximize efficiency using CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics), developed and built advanced suspension and drivetrain components, and integrated a strong yet lightweight composite shell. Our entire process has been developed in-house exclusively by Aptera for the Aptera Typ-1. Our structural elements have undergone countless revisions of FEA (Finite Element Analysis) to be lightweight, robust, and manufacturable.
9) Reduce traffic and pollution with the Tango, a car that fits its use! This tandem two-seater can get you safely and comfortably to work and back without wasted space or fuel. The Tango–being 6″ narrower than many motorcycles–takes less than half the space of the average car on the freeway, thereby doubling the capacity of existing freeway lanes. The Tango can fit in a future 6 foot lane easier than a truck fits in a standard 12 foot lane. To fight pollution it is available as an electric zero-emission vehicle.Parking too is a major problem for most commuters. Finding space to park in congested cities is difficult and time-consuming. Add in the cost of parking garages and lots or the extra hassle of moving your car and plugging the meter every hour or two, and people will jump to an alternative when it presents itself. As many as four Tangos can fit in one parallel parking space. Many parking locations also have spaces that only motorcycles and Tangos can fit in.To minimize any day-time inconvenience, the Tango can charge to 80% in just 10 minutes from a 200 amp charging station. This gives approximately 50 additional miles of range per quick-charge. Typically one would just plug in each night to a dryer outlet and get a complete charge in less than 3 hours and be ready for work the next morning.
As far as performance goes, the Tango is no slouch. Since electric cars–especially small ones–are generally thought to be slow and weak performers we set out to blow some minds by designing the Tango to accelerate through the standing 1/4 mile in 12 seconds at over 120 mph and travel from 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds.
Getting back to the more typical drive to work, consumers may be interested in the vehicle’s range. Although the Tango can be built with a fuel cell or internal combustion engine, conventional lead-acid batteries work well for most commuters. Its 80-mile range is nearly 4 times the distance the average commuter travels per day. With high-tech batteries, range could exceed 150 miles per charge.
10) The electric powered Piaggio Porter is the best-selling light commercial electric vehicle in Europe. Ten years experience of avant-guard research has resulted in dramatically improved performance and recharge times. Fast recharging can now be achieved in as little as 2 hours with the latest Lead-Gel batteries, which are maintenance free and have a long life. Two silent operation motor options are now available : the 84V model and the superior 96V model. The electric powered Porter is equipped with special software that allows diagnostics and electronic settings to be reset remotely via a modem.
11) E-max scooters have a digital controller which controls the motor and was especially designed for the needs of an electric Scooter. The e-max developed software can be customized to our customers’ needs. The lithium ion version has an innovative battery management system (BMS) with automotive approval. The BMS has an integrated black box which monitors and records the condition of the battery, motor and track. The booster provides up to 80% more power for a period, so inclines of over 20% are no problem.The motor was exclusively developed by e-max for the application in electric scooters. The location of the 13-inch wheel motor in the rear wheel enables smooth power transmission. It is maintenance free and due to the immense torque does not need a transmission. Also the access to the tire is very simple because of the single, rear suspension.E-max offers customers a choice: the long lasting and cost-effective silicon batteries with 40 Ah and 60 Ah based on a 48 V system or the extremely light weight lithium batteries which allow a range of up to 150 km and a charging time of less than 2 hours. Lithium can be recharged to a minimum of 1000 full cycles; this means more than 100,000 km can be driven. Both battery systems have no memory effect, so you can charge them whenever you want without problems. E-max ev’s Germany is one of the few companies that provide a scooter with Li/Ion batteries and a matching battery management system (BMS).
12) Based on Isuzu chassis, Micro Vett electric 35 q represents the answer to the urban logistic demand. Existing in Standard or High-Range version, it allows zero-emission and perfectly silent usage, together with exceptional maneuverability, usage flexibility and usage economy. With the shortest steering radius of its category, Micro-Vett electric 35 q is the ideal vehicle to work in downtowns and in zero-emission zones, allowing reliability, silence and optimal performances regarding range and acceleration.
13) Selling the best range of electric vehicles for London, the Nice Car Company offers clean and fun transport for everyone. The NICE range includes electric cars, truck, vans and minibuses and a range of bikes and scooters.The MEGA City looks and drives just like a traditional car. But it costs dramatically less. Work out the savings €“ no Congestion Charge, free parking (and so no parking tickets!), zero road tax. Powered by electricity there is no need for a petrol station at all – how much is petrol these days? The Mega City is just plugged into any standard power socket. Motoring at about 1.5 pence per mile.A traditional car produces an average of 4.5 tonnes of CO2 every year and a cocktail of other pollutants delivered straight to our doorsteps – London has some of the highest levels of air pollution in the UK. More people die as a direct result of traffic air pollution than of traffic accidents. The electric MEGA City produces no emissions and its electric drive is the most efficient of any technology currently available. The MEGA City is currently being retailed in London with a view to it being available in cities throughout the UK shortly. The MEGA City is available exclusively from the NICE Car Company.
We provide the environmentally friendly alternative to the traditional vehicle. Zero CO2, zero emissions and quiet, electric cars are nice and clean. The environmental impact is offset by planting new trees in London. Plus, with benefits such as no congestion charge, free road tax and free London parking, NICE cars are cost effective too – saving you up to £7000 per year. The Mega City, the Mega Multi Truck and the Vectrix bike are now all available to test drive in London.
Sign up for optional green energy package from our partner Ecotricity and you will be blown away. Ecotricity is the leading green energy company in the UK, supplying all its electricity from wind generation. Plug into Ecotricity and your NICE car will be powered completely by the wind.
14) The Vectrix is the world’s first pure-performance electric maxi-scooter with performance and style along with a clean, efficient, electric motor. The Vectrix offers all the benefits of a traditional gasoline-powered scooter but without the noise, pollution, expensive maintenance, oil changes, and expensive trips to the gas station. Vectrix is engineered to provide an eco-friendly, powerful alternative for commuting and recreational needs, Vectrix has superior handling.With the Vectrix maxi-scooter you’ll be free to move, free from traffic jams, free from expensive maintenance, free from rising gas prices, free from pollution, and free from guilt about damaging the planet.The multi-function throttle allows riders to accelerate and slow down with a simple twist of the throttle. It costs about a penny a mile to operate and recharges by plugging into a standard 110V outlet. Its top speed of 62 mph (100 km/h) and fast acceleration from 0-50 mph in 6.8 seconds make it safe and easy to zip in and out of traffic.
15) The Venturi FÃ©tish made its U.S. debut earlier this year in Los Angeles and then followed suit in Monaco, showings that followed an appearance in Paris. Here, it was eye-opening even by car-crazed California standards, with a sleek body drawn by French designer Sacha Lakic and engineering handled by GÃ©rard Ducarouge of Lotus Formula 1 fame. It is assembled in California, where this elegant carbon fiber bodyshell is wrapped around a carbon aluminum honeycomb monocoque chassis, creating a 2,424 pound sports car that€™s as aesthetically pleasing as any of the high-end exotics plying the roads of Hollywood or Beverly Hills.But this car isn€™t all looks. A 300 horsepower, 14,000 rpm AC Propulsion electric motor propels the rear-drive FÃ©tish from 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, achieving a top speed above 100 mpg. A T-shaped battery pack incorporating 770 pounds of lithium-ion batteries provides the power, a configuration similar to that of the nickel-metal-hydride battery design in GM€™s EV1 electric car. This 58 kilowatt-hour Li-Ion pack reportedly allows the car a single-charge driving range of 200 miles. Regenerative braking recaptures energy during deceleration or braking and feeds electricity back to the batteries. Unlike most electric cars, the amount of regeneration is driver-adjustable at the dash. The car rides on Michelin Pilot Sport tires wrapped around aggressive 18 inch alloy wheels up front, with Michelins over 19-inch alloys at the rear.While, the FÃ©tish is real and available, there is a catch. This Venturi supercar is being marketed as a piece of automotive art, limited to 25 copies and sold in L.A., Tokyo, and Monte Carlo, the latter where Venturi Automobiles is based, for the lofty price of $660,000. Too bad. We were looking to add one of these to our garage, too.
16) Zytek Electric Vehicles are converting an initial 100 Smart fortwos to fully electric versions at their production facilities in Fradley, Staffordshire. The vehicles will be delivered in a market trial to selected British customers as lease vehicles beginning from December 2006.The Smart EV sets a new benchmark in the electric vehicle sector, the 55Kw drivetrain producing a top speed of 120km/h. 12 kilowatt hours per 100 kilometres gives it a range of 110 kilometres. These figures indicate that the smart fortwo ev is a vehicle that is ideal for short journeys in urban traffic.The electric engine is located in the rear, installed into the three engine mounts exactly where the combustion engine would be in a conventional vehicle. The transmission, which has been locked in second gear, is likewise in the rear of the car. The smart fortwo ev therefore does not need the smart fortwo€™s gearshift knob, since it only uses one forward and one reverse gear.
The drivetrain installed in the smart electric vehicle utilizes state of the art brushless DC motor technology that is designed and manufactured in house by Zytek. The award winning innovative drivetrain design integrates the electric motor, power and control electronics, into one compact assembly with only three connections: water, High voltage(300V) and low voltage (12v).
It only takes three and a half hours to charge the battery from 30 to 80 percent of its capacity. An empty battery can be fully charged in no more than eight hours, for example overnight. The charge level indicator for the battery is where the rev counter would be in other vehicles in a central position on the instrument panel, together with the analogue clock. But that€™s all that has changed. The interior and the luggage compartment are just as spacious as before, and even the smart fortwo ev’s power storage unit €“ a sodium-nickel chloride battery manufactured by MES- DEA of Switzerland, is positioned centrally in the car’s underbody.
17) Prepare yourself for a whole new driving experience. Xebra’s do not attempt to behave like other vehicles. They are unique. They are quiet, yet agile. Imagine a world filled with silent Xebra’s instead of noisy internal combustion engines. The ZAP Xebra Sedan is the offspring of more than three decades of thought and evolution. This vehicle was created as a breed by itself. [Editor’s Note: although real ZAP electric cars exist, a lot of people are saying that this company is a scam, so know before you hand over any money]Because the use and purpose of electric vehicles are different than gas cars, the wheel did indeed need to be reinvented. No Tailpipe, just plug it in! Even after counting emissions from electric generating plants, Xebra Sedan’s produce 98% fewer pollutants than gas cars. It’s Electric! Laugh at high oil prices, in fact, forget about gas stations, oil spills, and fumes – forever! A Xebra Sedan’s appetite is meager. And you can recharge it at any electrical outlet.
18) Kewet Buddy aims to be one of the least expensive electric cars on the commercial market €“ with a satisfying performance for city use. The design is based on easily available materials and practical solutions, with little emphasis on additional equipment and fancy extras. Less parts €“ less can break down. The technological platform is well tested, which allows us to make slight modifications for improvements, and still be able to confirm that this is a very reliable electric vehicle made at a reasonable cost.In 2005 the newly developed 6th generation of Kewet €“ the Buddy €“ received a homologation according to EC directives. Technology, as well as design, is developed in accordance with the many years of user-experience, both from private use and fleets, and from extreme coldness (Norway) to extremely hot weather (Thailand). We have broadened the market niche by making the Buddy a 3-seater approved for 3 adults. The passengers€™ safety is well taken care of by the frame and safety cabin made of steel tubes, the doors with crossbars and the deformation zones in the front and rear. The Buddy allows flexibility for varying battery technologies both where electronics and space are concerned. And of course, the batteries are completely safe and maintenance-free. Regenerative braking and low weight contribute to an energy efficient vehicle.
The car is small, which makes you happy when you are looking for parking spaces in the city. Still you will be surprised what this Buddy size S can carry for you. The luggage compartment is designed around two cases of beer €“ or 6-8 bags of groceries. It is a €œmultiuse” vehicle with possibilities for coupling devices and racks for skis or bicycles!
The Kewet Buddy assortment is already widened with the BuddyCab, a lively-looking convertible built on the same platform as the Buddy itself. We have made prototypes of the BuddyVan, a delivery truck for city use. In two years the driving range of the vehicle will be extended to 80-100 km, broadening the market for this kind of vehicle. The fact that these vehicles operate during Norwegian winters is a testimony to their ruggedness and dependability, even in cold weather.
19) We are facing an inconvenient truth, so plug in to a sustainable solution. Electrical vehicles have zero local emission and superior energy efficiency. The Think city is 95% recyclable and made of recycled materials. Being a sustainable company, we think globally and act locally.Our vehicles are designed for the environment, throughout the entire value chain. Our production facilities are carbon neutral, with very low emissions from our production processes and minimal material wastes. Think city has a clean choice of materials, with recyclable exterior and interior materials made possible through the use of ABS and PP. Bodywork and plastic panels are unpainted, reducing both pollutants and energy consumption.
Electrical vehicles emit no tailpipe emissions while driving. We are not counting grams. We simply have no tailpipe at all, and no local CO2, nitrous oxide, or particle emissions. Driving electrical vehicles will even reduce noise pollution. It is both clean and silent.
Reducing overall CO2 emissions is a key global objective. Well-to-wheel analysis reveals that electrical engines, due to their winning energy efficiency, are significantly cleaner than any other personal transport alternative today, regardless of where your power comes from.
THINK city demands very little of you. In fact, not much more than a mobile phone. Just an overnight power top-up, and it€™s ready to go in the morning. It can travel up to 200 kilometres (124 miles) in city driving on a fully charged battery, with a top speed of 100km/h. It is fun, clean and simple.
The car is equipped with ABS brakes, airbags and three-point safety belts with pretensioners. The advanced frame is designed to absorb energy and distribute it away from the passenger€™s compartment. Even the dashboard and knee padding have been developed to absorb impact. To further protect the driver and passengers, both doors have side impact bars and pusher blocks made of shock-absorbent materials.
THINK city is a modern urban car. With zero local emissions and an energy efficiency three times that of a traditional combustion engine car, it is a car for the environment. And it is a fun car for you. A choice of sodium or lithium batteries allows you to accommodate your car to your driving style, travelling up to 180 kilometres in one charge, with a top speed of 100km/h. Driving a silent car will give you a totally new experience.
THINK Ox is a platform concept, designed for electric drive vehicles, for the European, North American and Asian market. It is the basis for a variety of vehicle styles, starting with the TH!NK Ox Crossover 5-seater. This is possible due to a space frame concept featuring the main crash structure and the batteries centrally placed in two compartments in the lower frame.
The THINK Ox picture gallery shows an MPV version and a coupÃ© version. The MPV version is suggested as a taxi with a larger luggage space. The MPV version is designed for easy entry and exit, and a spacious and easy access luggage trunk. The coupÃ© and sports versions have a larger battery capacity for higher performance.
20) SAM is a Swiss award-winning and patented Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) of a new generation designed and developed by Cree Ltd. SAM is at prototype stage and approved for all public roads. 80 vehicles initially produced for public testing in the cities of Zurich and Basle are currently running mainly on Swiss roads and owned by private consumers. Cree€™s goal is to find the capital as well as the industry partner(s) needed to bring this vehicle to mass production and realize the market potential discovered during the testing phase in 2001.
In 2003 Cree had to close its doors, due to the lack of funding and had to let go all of its employees. In a joint effort the shareholders and financing partners of Cree decided to save the company. This process of restructuring has now successfully been completed. Today Cree is ready to reactivate this project and has access to all data, results and rights obtained during the 8 years of development time of SAM, thus providing an attractive and debt-free opportunity for investment to new financing and industry partners.
Cree invites interested investors, retailers as well as potential license manufacturing partners to discuss how the interests of all parties can best be met and to define suitable strategies for a fast international build-up of SAM.
21) Mystery Zero Emission Vehicle. What is your vision of the world’s most environmentally-friendly vehicle? Well this is mine: Imagine an environmentally-friendly transport vehicle that uses a chemical propulsion technology so advanced, you don’t even need to recharge it, and a drive-mechanism so simple, you can repair it yourself. Imagine that it has a top speed of about 210 km/hr. Imagine that it can transport two or more individuals. Now imagine that the single-seat version is so light you can lift it above your head. Further, imagine that it becomes so popular, you can go and buy one today, where ever you might happen to live, for under ‚¬500. Imgine if this amazing vehicle improve your health while using it! Sounds way too good to be true? Well here’s the catch: admittedly, the range of this super-green vehicle is dependent on your driving ability. Believe it or not, but this vehicle already exists. Click the question mark to find out more…
22) Kurrent is a neighborhood vehicle (NV), which means it has four wheels and weighs less than 2500 lbs. It runs on the same standard electricity you use to operate your household appliances. Think of it as juice to go. Kurrent is not just a new car €“ it€™s a whole new way to get where you€™re going.Based upon European micro car technology, Kurrent is actually the evolution of the motorcycle and not simply a refurbished golf cart. Micro cars have been driving the streets of Europe for more than ten years.
The average American drives 29 miles in a day. You can do much of that driving in your Kurrent while leaving the SUV parked in the garage. Don€™t do it just for the admiring stares. Kurrent costs less than 2¢ per mile to operate €“ that€™s five times less than a €œfuel-efficient€ SUV. In most states Kurrent is approved to drive on streets with posted speed limits of 35mph or less.
Purchasing your very own Kurrent is quite a choice all by itself. It€™s a cutting edge, early adopter, yes-as-a-matter-of-fact-I-do-care-about-the-environment choice. So why stop there? Take a few moments to consider exactly what color you€™d like to express your choice with. From Anti-Corporate Blue to Stark Raving Red €“ there€™s a palette of colors to put the proper accent on your personal statement. Do not go blandly into this brave new all electric world.
Environmentally conscious, practical yet fun loving, quirky Kurrent is practically a moving billboard that says, One Very Interesting Person Owns This. Kurrent is so €¦ current €¦ that we€™re in the process of developing our dealer network.
23) The Modec has been designed to be highly manoeuvrable and flexible. Its full length, high strength ladder frame chassis with energy absorbing frontal structure is available in three lengths to suit a wide range of applications and modifications.Every single feature of the Modec has been designed to directly benefit the driver, your business, the environment, or all three. This is a zero emission vehicle that works hard for you, as well as for the planet.
If your environmental conscience is driving you to consider a Modec vehicle, you’ll also be interested to know that you can now charge it at your own premises with a completely renewable supply of electricity. Modec is working with the leading independent energy supplier BizzEnergy to offer this option to all business buyers of Modec vehicles. So whether your interest is in green electricity, energy efficiency or innovative metering solutions, BizzEnergy can help you with the most effective package of energy solutions.
24) GEM cars feature a spacious interior that protects passengers from the elements without completely closing them in. The unique design offers 47 to 109 cubic feet of cab space depending on vehicle model.GEM battery-electric vehicles are classified as low-speed vehicles, or neighborhood electric vehicles, and are street legal in nearly all 50 states on public roads posted at 35 mph or less. With a top speed of 25 mph, GEM cars have a range of up to 30 miles on a charge¹ and are great for traveling around neighborhoods, city centers or job sites. GEM vehicles are battery-electric, operate on a 72-volt battery system and plug into a standard 110-volt outlet. What makes GEM vehicles so unique is that they can be recharged anytime, anywhere a 110-volt outlet is available and recharge in approximately six to eight hours².
GEM cars are available in a choice of six models: the GEM e2 two-passenger, the GEM e4 four-passenger, the GEM e6 six-passenger, the GEM eS two-passenger with a short-back bed, the GEM eL two-passenger with a long-back bed, and the GEM eL XD two-passenger extra duty with a long-back bed. Each GEM model meets and exceeds all federal safety regulations for low-speed vehicles and are thoroughly tested at the Chrysler Automotive Proving Grounds for quality and endurance.
GEM cars are perfect for short trips to the dock, golf course or club, for transporting equipment in warehouses, or even making daily trips to the market, school or office. Today, many drivers choose GEM battery-electric vehicles to help improve the environment. GEM cars produce no tailpipe emissions making them an excellent transportation solution!
25) Smith Electric Vehicles is the world’s largest manufacturer of road-going commercial electric vehicles. We have influenced the evolution of zero emission vehicles since 1920 – and there are thousands of Smith vehicles around the world in operation today.Smith’s unrivalled expertise in innovative battery and motor technology can be seen in Newton, the world’s first high performance 7.5t electric truck, launched in 2006. We further raised the bar in 2007 with Edison, the world’s first sub-3.5t zero emission van and minibus. And now the Ampere, another leading edge vehicle, this time a 2.3t light van.
Today’s political and social environment is placing increasing pressure on fleet managers to lower their emissions. Consumer pressure to shop green is also at an all time high. Smith’s electric vehicles not only provide a greener solution in terms of zero emissions, but also contain components that are 100% recyclable. Smith Electric Vehicles are fully zero emission. This means zero tailpipe pollution: no PM10s, no nitrogen oxide, no carbon monoxide and no carbon dioxide.
26) At AMP in Cincinnati, Ohio, we set out to make a difference. And now The AMP® is here. Imagine… 0 to 60 mph in about 5.7 seconds…150 miles per charge…125 mpg equivalent…a great looking Saturn design…all in a safe vehicle with safe batteries…no gas required, simply plug it in. A complete €œfill up€ costs about the same as one gallon of gas.
When looking at The AMP®, here€™s your first discovery: zero tailpipe emissions and no gas required. And with very minimal routine maintenance required, The AMP will save you thousands of dollars in operating costs.
The AMP delivers 150 miles per charge, and a complete “fill up” costs about the same as a gallon of gas. And best of all, it€™s great looking and fun to drive. The AMP, the true 100% electric car is here. Enjoy a drive to the store, highway driving, and trips to work. Now every driving experience is more efficient.
The AMP® design team insisted on using proven, safe, lithium phosphate batteries, not the lithium cobalt batteries typically found in laptops and other electric vehicles. And, of course, The AMP is a conversion of the Saturn Sky,containing features like air bags, anti-lock brakes, and all the features you expect from America€™s best.
27) The VentureOne is a fully enclosed vehicle that is surrounded by a steel €œsafety cell€ and other safety features typically found only in cars€”things like side impact beams, driver airbag, rear bumper and engine shield.
Carver Engineering was faced with the challenge of designing a slender vehicle that would not fall over, as most slim vehicles were prone. Their solution was to make the vehicle do what two-wheeled vehicles did, tilt when cornering. However, due to the size and weight required to make the vehicle enclosed, the tilting operation could not be left to the driver€™s control. Therefore, an automatic system that takes over the balance control was required in order to maintain the ideal tilting angles under all imaginable driving conditions, such as at all speeds and accelerations and during rapid emergency maneuvers, and also on slippery or slanting road surfaces. The result was DVC technology, a hydro-mechanical system that splits the steering input from the driver into a front-wheel steering angle and a tilting angle of the chassis.
This predictable, intuitive, and easy to use system automatically adjusts the distribution between the front-wheel angle and tilting angle at varying speeds and road conditions to ensure balance under all circumstances. At lower speeds the steering input is fully directed to the front wheel and the vehicle remains upright. As the vehicle increases speed, the input is more translated into a tilting angle and not into a front-wheel angle. The DVC system operates on a combination of hydraulic and mechanical technologies for a high reliability, quick response and natural €œfeel€.
While the same height and length as the MINI Cooper, the driver in the VentureOne sits as high off the road as a BMW 3-series. When combined with its 360° glass canopy effect, the VentureOne not only provides a driver with tremendous road visibility, but will add to a sense of overall driving confidence.
Both will incorporate the patented Dynamic Vehicle Control system, or DVC„¢, developed by Carver Engineering, which allows the vehicle to tilt up to 45° side-to-side at a rate of 85° per second. All three will also feature ventilated disc brakes and measure 3.5 meters in overall length.
28) The Electrum Spyder manufactured by UEV is an exciting two passenger convertible all electric freeway flier that is available in a limited production. Powered by a 300 vdc system, the Spyder provides an effective range of up to 150 miles at a top speed of approximately 100 miles per hour on a full charge using Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, standard in all of our vehicles. As with all of our Electrum series, the Spyder can be up graded to lithium ion batteries with a range of up to 250 miles on a single charge.
29) Electric vehicles have maximum available power at the wheels at any speed, unlike a petrol engine where maximum power is only obtained high up in the rev range. To deliver this power to the road the Lightning will use electronically controlled traction control which negates wheel spin and unbalance in the power being applied.
The stunning performance of the Lightning GTS will likely surpass almost all large engine high performance sports cars in the 0-60mph range. The sensation of harnessing power and performance will be felt by the sheer exhilaration of the power pushing you back in your seat as the car accelerates.
Because there is no engine, the Lightning has a maintenance-free motor with just a few parts and together with the control electronics and special batteries, will not need anywhere near the servicing of other sports cars.
We’ve chosen the very best drive system technology available anywhere in the world. This advanced motor technology now has phenomenal torque and power capability which is integrated within a wheel assembly. There are no gearboxes, differential, axle, drive shafts or propshafts to contend with. All of the power is generated at the wheel, the point at which it’s required, which eliminates mechanical complexity and power losses experienced in standard sports cars. These lightweight and ultra powerful motors don’t add significant extra unsprung weight and are therefore ideal in that position.
When you brake, the car’s kinetic energy is converted to heat through friction – throwing away the energy that was previously used to accelerate the car. In city driving, about 30 percent of a typical car’s engine output is lost to braking. This proportion drops to almost zero in highway driving, where braking is much less frequent.
An electric vehicle uses an electric motor to create torque to drive its wheels. When an electric vehicle is approaching a stop light, it doesn’t create friction and useless heat in order to slow down. Instead it reverses its electric motor turning it into an electric generator, creating electricity which is fed back into the battery and stored for future use. In fact any time an electric vehicle decelerates it causes the system to use the vehicle€™s momentum to generate electricity
The NanoSafe„¢ batteries are designed to be used in vehicles and hostile environments and will work in temperatures between 75°C and minus 30°C. Unlike standard Lithium-Ion batteries in electric vehicles these don€™t need to be kept cool when charged/used or heated to get them to perform in sub zero temperatures. NanoSafe„¢ batteries use nano titanate materials instead of graphite which makes them far more thermally stable – there are no toxics or heavy metals used in NanoSafe„¢ batteries. They have life expectancy of 12+ years, versus the 3-5 year usable life of other batteries and can retain up to 85% charge capacity after 15,000 charges. NanoSafe„¢ batteries can also be recharged in approximately 10 minutes, rather than the hours required by many other rechargeable batteries. With instantaneous power even at extreme temperatures, these batteries deliver power per unit weight and unit volume several times that of conventional Lithium-Ion batteries.
As there’s no fuel tank, the Lightning GT offers plenty of boot space with golf clubs no problem! The batteries are only 9€ high ensuring additional bonnet space is also available. Locating the batteries in the optimum position allows the Lightning to have €˜designed-in€™ weight distribution and low roll centres. This, combined with the high technology chassis, will achieve excellent road holding performance dynamics.
Astute readers will no doubt point raise the following question: “where do electric vehicles derive their power? Doesn’t that just change the source of the pollution”. Answer: not if alternative energy sources are utilised. Free energy, no pollution. Please see these links for further information: